Who am I?
DARREN SEBASTIAN BENBOW
- Name: DS Benbow
- Place of birth: Gotham (Brooklyn, NY)
- Nationality: Citizen of Earth
- Current Coordinates: Seattle, WA
- Phone: 206.851.4137
- Email: ds @ brandbenbow dot com
Why Hire Me?
I’m a proven innovative, high performing, brand product marketer with high technical competence and strong experience driving global campaigns involving enterprise and consumer segments. I have a data driven head for business/marketing strategy (analytics, marketing ROI, business impact, etc…), combined with a passion for execution and a drive for results. In addition to the above, I have the ability to work collaboratively across an organization, incorporating various POVs, including the ability to secure executive alignment.
I’ve also delivered several global product launches requiring advanced strategic planning, analytics, public/analyst relations, product positioning, messaging, field readiness and ennoblement (did I mention I'm also a SaaS product geek! - narrative, strategy, growth...).
Groups & Brands I’ve Worked With
I’ve worked with a diverse group of audiences including developers, IT professionals, consumers, prosumers, and others to deliver marketing results that impact business.
My brand experience is solid working with brands both consumer and business including (but not limited to) Johnson & Johnson, T-Mobile, HTC, Samsung, Expedia, Microsoft Office 365, Windows Phone, Orange, British Petroleum, Qualcomm, United Airlines, Microsoft Outlook, Xbox, Microsoft Azure, Microsoft Dynamics, SQL Server, BizTalk, Visual Studio, and Adidas among others.
My Professional Background
Head of GTM Strategy/Lionbridge Games
skills used: project management, market analysis, content strategy, sales enablement, communications, executive engagement, site redesign & localization, brand development, social media strategy, persona development, video strategy and execution, financial modeling
• Lead creation of Lionbridge Game Services re-branding including imagery, sales enablement tools, social media strategy, video engagement strategy and execution, . • Hosted GameForward (youtube), a show made for game industry, focused on interviewing game industry professionals - planned and executed each episode (interview, lighting, audio, video, animation, post production,etc...).
HEAD OF MARKETING
skills used: agency management, alliance management, budget management, partner engagement, digital redesign, social media planning, salesforce automation, sales enablement, campaign management, sales readiness, communications, analyst briefings, messaging, gtm, product launch, content development, webinars
• Guided a team developing new product messaging, positioning, and taxonomy for the ActiveTrust cyber security platform aimed at enterprise, government & critical infrastructure. • Drove partner engagement for McAfee ePO integration in collaboration with sales and development teams, leveraging McAfee global sales force to drive Internet Identity revenue (IID’s 1st enterprise integration). • Worked with IID co-founders and VC bankers to develop competitive positioning, growth plans, and corporate pitch to accelerate business growth and capture new market opportunity via fundraising. • Owned website redesign and built out the company’s social media and content strategies, expanding to Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and content blogs laying the foundation for a solid media presence.
Brand benbow CONSULTING
skills used: project management, partner training, sales engagement, content development, Saas transformation, windows intune value prop readiness, planning, partner presentations
• Led Microsoft Windows Intune all day workshops for partners around US to consult on web 2.0 marketing/business strategies and tactics with a view to driving business transformation to SaaS. • Helped Microsoft’s top field nominated partners to understand implications of transitioning to a SaaS/cloud revenue model; my workshop rating 4 out of 5 by partners
Head of strategy & insights
skills used: project management, team management, social media strategy, mobile strategy, gtm, client management, partnership, communications, sales, campaign management, team development, executive engagement, audience insights, client business reviews, pitch development, healthcare, travel, technologies, compete
• Directed a (billable) team of strategists in collaboration with account and delivery teams, to provide customers with a vision of how to leverage mobile devices to achieve customer business goals. • Developed actionable mobile strategies collaborating with internal teams and partner agencies to win clients including Microsoft, Johnson & Johnson, United Airlines, and Expedia Travel. • Tasked by CEO to serve as the J&J account lead to pitch business, mobile marketing, mobile technology platform, and traditional web marketing stages along with social components, becoming the 1st mobile agency of record (MAOR) for J&J, a deal worth XX million+ annual. • Requested by Ogilvy UK to develop mobile strategies driving awareness, engagement and perception shift at the London Olympics for British Petroleum (BP), with a view to highlighting their global investments in green strategies.
skills used: business management, financial planning, wine making, label design, website creation, gtm, social media strategy, distribution strategy, campaign management, legal approval, direct sales, messaging, compete, content development, event planning
• Boutique winery focused on high quality hand crafted small lots • Exclusively focused on Washington style French blends (Rhone, Bordeaux, & Viognier). . Largely self-taught, I honed the craft of winemaking through rigorous study and the welcomed advice of some of the area's most experienced producers.
Head, developer marketing
skills used: budget management, team management, team development, partner engagement, event management, executive engagement, communications, content development, campaign management, agency management, website redesign, developer management, project management
• Owned maintenance & growth of AT&T ~25K developers. • Aligned marketing between AT&T and carriers with a cross carrier/partner collaboration view. • Managed a team of 9; lead internal team and vendors in the website • Spearheaded team that drove successful AT&T Developer Summit growing conference attendance from 75 to 4,000 including 50+ press analysts, receiving a dedicated IDC two page brief.
Product & channel
skills used: gtm, messaging, campaign management,value proposition, agency management, partner strategy, digital strategy, content development, website development, partner engagement, event management, compete, budget management, telcom management, partner programs, project management
• Authored the 1st Windows Mobile global go-to-market plan, which resulted in a 12 geo campaign rollout. • Led $10M advertising effort with T-Mobile for MDA/SDA mobile devices. • Steered the highly successful digital launch of Palm Treo 700w in collaboration with Verizon. • Developed SQL Azure (Microsoft’s 1st cloud play) partner strategy including positioning, funding, adoption; identified partner opportunity, segments, ecosystems, value propositions, and offers. • Led the development and rollout of 1st worldwide LAR site licensing model readiness, targeted to SMB • Created/managed the 1st global Application Platform Partner Advisory Council (Cloud PAC), comprised of top global partner executives. • Created global Application Platform University readiness program achieving 134% of target goal. Presidents Award Recipient
seattle pacific university
item of interest
Masters thesis on sports marketing
Weber state university
B.S. social sciences
item of interest
4 year football letterman (invited to NFLCombine/ highest overall Wonderlic score for Jets)
Charter Member of Mu Lambda chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi
DS has always been willing to do what it takes to solve marketing & business problems, with a view to helping the team drive to successful outcomes.
GM WW Distribution
Always willing to dig in and push through, DS has always had a strong sense of business strategy and how marketing is a lever in driving compelling business outcomes
Master Java Developer
His curiosity and conceptual ability to grasp all things development, gives DS the ability to engender trust and loyalty among techies, even though he's technically a marketer
An important part of leadership is people. DS is able to form the kinds of relationsips that enable others to do their best work.
Skills & Knowledge
2012 - present
Microsoft Ship It
Outlook & Windows Mobile
Puget Sound Market Research Forum
Past Board Member
- Google Analytics & SEO
- Microsoft Office
- Adobe Dreamweaver
- Social Media Tools
- Adobe Master Suite
- SaaS Growth Hacking
- Azure/ AWS (Cloud)
- Salesforce (SFA)
- BI Tools
- Microsoft Dynamics (CRM)
Hobbies & Interests
Golf, basketball, hiking, ultimate frisby, volleyball, table tennis, Chinese handball, swimming
Ive dove in schools of sharks, with rays, giant turtles, and barracuda. I've even dove the blue hole and with whale sharks - all on my gopro
The aim of marketing is to know and understand the customer so well the product or service fits him and sells itself
Admittedly scifi leaning...K'pla! (story matters)
I once owned a boutique winery that made high end French blends- the art of wine is at my core
looking forward to the day when technology deliberately serves man's grand ambitions
I love to embed myself in foreign cultures and have authentic interactions
I'm a big foodie. I enjoy cooking for others and seeing the smiles on their faces
I'm extremely eclectic in my musical tastes (thanks to my parents). Hot on Brazilian right now.
gaming professional show
INTERNET IDENTITY (CYBER)
ATT DEVELOPER PROGRAM